Red Fish Brand Daufuskie Island Oyster Shell Key Ring Lost Wax cast from the actual shell in vintage silver bronze 2 3/4 inches wide 2 1/2 long In the early 1880s South Carolina's Oyster Industry started on and around Daufuskie Island. Small "Shucking Houses" owned and operated by T.P. Chaplin and L.P. Maggioni were supported by "Mosquito Fleets" and local Oystermen. All oyster operations ended on Daufuskie Island when pollution from the Savannah River produced bacteria in the island oyster beds. Benjie's Point Oyster House was the last "Shucking House" built on Daufuskie Island, it was also the first to be constructed of concrete block. It was built by L.P. Maggioni in 1942.